alt="Photo of Attorneys Cynthia M. Radomsky & Sonya L. Powell"

Family Focused.
Results Driven.

Photo of Cynthia M. Radomsky & Sonya L. Powell

Reasons for child support modification in Virginia

On Behalf of | May 21, 2024 | Child Support |

Courts consider many factors when calculating child support. It is understood that these relied on factors can change over time, which is why it is reasonable for parents to seek modification of child support. Whether you seek to decrease, increase or end child support, it is important to understand the process required to request modification.

Child support modification

In Virginia, child support is calculated with the income shares model. This means that the income of both parents is used to calculate the support to be paid by one parent. The idea is that the child will maintain the same monetary usage for them as if they still lived in one household with their parents.

But life is not stagnant. Anticipated and unexpected changes occur in life, often requiring adjustments to be made. One major cause for modification is income. If the income of either parent has changed by at least 25%, this gives cause to seek modification. This means that a decrease or increase in income could provide evidence of an increase or decrease of the current child support order.

Reasons to modify

There are several reasons a child support order can be modified in Virginia. To begin, it could be modified if it has been at least 36 months since the order was last reviewed for modification purposes. Another reason to modify is for the addition of a child to the order due to changes in custody or a birth.

Other reasons include the need for the order to include health care coverage costs, a child is no longer eligible to receive support due to changes in custody or emancipation, the premium for health care coverage changed by 25% or more, the current order does not address the reimbursement of dental and medical costs, the child care expenses by the working custodial parent has changed by at least 25% and, as stated above, the income of either parent has changed by 25% or more.

FindLaw Network